Monday, March 18, 2013


This past weekend Rob took me to Big Bear to go snowboarding.  I've never been to Big Bear before and was really excited to explore a new town and some new runs.  One of Rob's best friends that lives out in San Diego came up and met us with his girlfriend.  It took us about 5 hours to drive up.  Since we drove up after work on Friday when we got there it was around 11.  We checked in to our hotel which looked like a huge cabin on the outside however the inside not so much.  I was kind of surprised because the town only had three late night bars.  We grabbed a quick bite to eat and had some drinks til the bars closed. 
The next day we go up early and headed to bear mountain.  Once we got to the mountain Shirley and I took a lesson and the boys headed to the top of the mountain.  Since I have gone snowboarding before I think the lesson I took was not that helpful to me.  Plus they teach in such a large group that you have to fight for a instructors attention.  After the lesson we met the boys back at the beach bar and had a couple drinks.  I couldn't get over how hot it was outside.  It was in the 60's and when I had all my gear on I felt absolutely miserable.  At first I didn't understand why everyone there wears sunglasses instead of goggles.  But after riding a bit my face would get so sweaty it would drive me crazy.  But it was so bright out that I needed to wear something to cover my eyes.  I had finally accomplished going down my first intermediate run.  My biggest problem is stopping quick.  After awhile I started to pick it up. 
Once I made it to the bottom of the mountain I had unstrapped my back foot and started to skate to the side.  One thing I am completely paranoid of getting hit by someone.  I don't trust other people and I feel like there are so many people out there that don't take lessons and don't have control over what they are doing so I am constantly looking behind me to make sure I'm safe.  Well, while I was looking back and saw a kid coming in hot towards me I slipped and fell.  My body went one way and my board went the other way.  I'm a girl and immediately started crying.  I knew it was broken.  It was such a dumb fall it honestly could have happened at my house if I was messing around with my board.  The ski patrol had to take me down to the medic.  They took a look at it and told me I needed to go to the hospital. At the hospital I got x-rays and then it was confirmed that I did indeed break my ankle. 
 At this point I felt horrible because of my accident it ruined the whole trip.  We were all planning on going out Saturday night to celebrate St. Patty's but I was in bed by 7 resting.  The next morning me and Rob got up early and started the drive home.  Driving in a car for 5 hours with a broken ankle is not ideal.  However I did enjoy the scenic views.  Big Bear is really gorgeous and its hard to believe its just 2 hours from LA.  That's the crazy thing about California because it is so big there are so many different area's that look different.  We stopped in Palm Springs on the way home and had breakfast at a place called Lulu's.  I of course got the strawberry waffle and Rob did a southwest omelet.  Palm Springs reminds me of Scottsdale but less douchey.  That's probably why I like it so much.  The only problem was that because I am on crutches everyone was staring at me.  I have to say it was slightly embarrassing.
Rob has been amazing.  I feel horrible I have been a complete asshole and just bitching because I am frustrated at the things that I can't do.  He has been completely understanding and literally waiting on me hand and foot.  I really appreciate everything that he has been doing for me.  I don't know what I would do with out him.  So this afternoon I'm going to a orthopedic specialist to get my leg set.  I am really hoping that they decide to give me a walking cast.  I HATE CRUTCHES.  I just want to throw them away.  Since I am very limited on what I can do I expect to get my blog back together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment